drawing challenge NEW THEME | beauty

·
this week google doodles spoiled for choice to reference just a few great comers (and goners) in art history. indeed german naturalist and scientific illustrator maria sibylla merian (°1647-1717) caught my eye and tickled my fancy, as did belgian architect henri van de velde (°1863-1957), for his architectural influence and stunning ability
·
·
in general, i've always felt rather attracted to art deco and art nouveau for its clean {if curved} lines, and its distinct designs. living in belgium, we are rather spoilt for choice on behalf of both streams, albeit too many buildings have been destroyed by unruly conflicts of interest. but that's another story. 
·






·
the connection between beauty and function always on the mind of turn of the 20th century architects, i find the approach breathtaking to this day, an approach i try to hold onto myself, when decisions need making on behalf of our house. as on other subjects, for that matter. function makes beauty stand out. beauty enhances function. but we're talking drawing challenge, aren't we? 
·
·
over the past dc months we've had themes such as home, balance, city, window, stained glass, development, curve, roadside attraction, industrial, shadow, leaves, glass, willow, ..., to name but a few. in a sense, we've been building up to beauty related to function. is it what artists often do? while beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, i'd love to make it our dc theme. it is a bit of a wild card, isn't it? it may be an invitation to go overboard, "in the line of beauty"... {weekend of april, 13-14th.} ~ if you feel you're in, leave your name below; so very welcome to join. ♥
·
beauty takers : ariane, cindi, norma, tanïa, celine, barbara, renilde, stefanie, ram, carole, susan, rachel, patrice, mano, kristen, kim, emily, jgy, ...
·

22 comments :

  1. Oh, dear Nadeschda, I am so much in...!
    Beauty!
    its such a BIG theme (its worth to take the number 100 :) and thank you for inviting so early...

    Love
    xox Ariane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to participate! Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a grand theme. It gets the mind going that is for sure. I'll be caressing this idea for a few days Nadine. I'm IN. See you soon, N, x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed! Your approach, your way to this theme...so nadinesque!
    Understand what I mean? It's your own and very special train of thought.
    Surprisingly obvious to sum up those earlier themes this way. Beauty!
    What a great subject, enough room to let it go for many weeks, I would say!
    I'm already so so curious to see the results and of course, I'm in, too!
    Yeah!
    Hugs and greetings
    tanïa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in! what a theme with so many directions...pfff...and high expentions is what I feel....and the pressure;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roar, someone ate my comment, o.k. once again..
    This is a BIG theme and I'm not sure if I'll find my way through... so many endless possibilities, but I'll give it a try and hope that by the time I'll come up with a result.
    See you next saturday/sunday virtually spoken, excited to what all the others do.
    Love + hugs Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) so you, so lovely
    i'm glad you announce the theme so early in the week, i always love a little time to (mind)play with it,and i'm sure there will some mindplaying going on, starting right now...well just to say i'm in, xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the invitation... beauty how could I resist?
    x Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah, you're very kind
    you made me feel fine :)
    thanks for your invitation
    to play with the beauty
    will be my intention :)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, dear beautiful, Nadine......I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. funny, i've been having a little argument with myself all this week about whether i should do a post on form vs function. when they are integrated it truly is a beautiful thing. more on this soon i guess!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this one, Woolfie, and count me in. -sus

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have an idea...
    count me in, dear nadine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me too! Good thing I've got all week to ponder this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been pondering already, and have decided to also join in. BIG theme, and I look forward to seeing what others decide to do with it! Thanks for the invite...and enjoy your beauty of a week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to come join your party. Yes please, count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh, aesthetic is such an objective concept! it does lie in the eye of the beholder, but only at that moment in time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohh I hope I am not too late. was getting some beauty rest.
    please count me in.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  19. If I could enter a poem?! but I am late too.
    Funny I noticed the peacock and I had a peacock in a poem this week (not having seen yours!)
    Happy week!

    ReplyDelete