AC | rituals and routine{s}

sweet 16. probably
i grew up in a family where a weekly schedule of cleaning house, kitchen chores and garden pleasures ran riot. i didn't appreciate much of it as a child, but i find a bunch of rituals stuck to me. apart from my own, naturally. 

morning sun
quite late in life, i find, i understand that rituals are necessary besides sensible. in times of trouble, it is a ritual that can save our skin. when overjoyed i've fallen prone to that well known ritual of drinking, to one's health. 

train ride; guess where i'm heading soon? 
i wake up in the morning and i sit down to post my instagram entry of the day. i dabble a little, get ready for an office morning and am on my way, same seat on the train, sometimes earphones, mostly not. 

brussels, rue blaes
i try to read, but what's the use. my office day is cut by lunch break, which i try to have outside the office. when it rains, i stay inside, drink my soup, eat my salad, make a walk inside the building. 

kitchen!
evenings i cook supper, put on pj's, go to the studio for an hour, then telly and watch, often listen, to a series or a movie. i do some sketching, or painting. i hang out on my cell phone, come and say hi to y'all. 

coffee at philominius, aalst
on days off from work, my schedule differs greatly. i go for a walk, do the house in the mornings and after lunch i'm in the studio. i come back down to the kitchen and get some stuff ready, usually a few days coming. 

home. sunday morning
weekends are kind of holy, which is an interesting word. saturdays are my favourite. as a child mum ploughed away on the hand operated washing machine; the sweet, heady scented smell of that washing boiling...  

antiques shop on rue blaes, brussels. same house number! ☻
sundays are quite sacred too. i like to share a walk with a friend, or do absolutely zilch (i like that). mostly though practiced schedules of mixing chores and play. i find duties a necessary evil, i try and avoid them. 

flowers in the street
i seem to repeat those seven days and find the classification satisfying. i also love breaking it all up into not doing any of it and wait till the routine filters back in. because it always does. it's a trusty animal. 

bathroom wall, awaiting finishing plastering touches
i have of course forgotten to mention SO many of my usuals, but generally this is pretty much what it grinds down to, and like i said, happy about it. i tend to slow down in aging. i am curious to find out about yours:  stefanieveronicatammiesharmoncarolesabine, annton, roberto, melodye, renee, ... 
THANK Y'ALL FOR PLAYING. ONWARDS AND FORWARDS. ☻
ps - health restored, my computer still on the blink. must. get. a. new. one. ... 

12 comments :

  1. Wonderful to have a glimpse into your life. Sounds balanced with good food, exercise, nature/walking, art and people.

    Thank you also for hosting for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ja, first of all I have to say, that your post is very touching to me,
    dearest Nadine, Nadeschda!
    Maybe it's because I have taken that step out of my beloved routine with this beautiful Art Challenge. But then, I am not so far away from it... from you :) I love, LOVE!, to find glimpses of your daily life here and of course of your sweet home, that is so wonderful intimate (I am filled with fine memories and, not only because of the ever ongoing metamorphosis of your house, I'd like to come again for our summergathering)

    As you said: " (...) wait till the routine filters back in. because it always does. it's a trusty animal."
    Hmm, beat or rhythm? Is that's the question? Is going with routine going with the flow, which carved into one's life over years?

    Thank you very much (till the moon and back) for hosting, Nadine!
    LOVE, aR X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are SO very welcome, Ariane.
      of course i will host a summer gathering again! maybe when my 2nd floor renovation is done, by next summer (2018)? i'll have a whole floor for hosts by then! whooh-hooh!!
      X (will come find you esewhere)

      Delete
  3. I love your collection of ritual/routine photos! As Tammie says, its very cool to get a glimpse into the everyday rituals of someone's life. It sounds like it's working out well for you. Thanks for letting us in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your personal routines/rituals and for hosting the Art Challenge. It's interesting how childhood routines continue into our adult lives (for good or for bad). I love seeing your space and recognizing things. xo

    Sorry my post is so late. I thought I had scheduled for posting but never thought to check to make sure while visiting the boys and their tired mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think most of us tend to be creatures of habit. Sundays are sacred to me too! I try not to schedule anything on those days except go to church and spend with my family. Saturdays are always a mixed bag of activity depending on what the children have going on. Loved hearing about your week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post. Also, nice to find a new blog I know I'll enjoy! How do I sign up for notifications?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dear mandaladreamer
      i have to reply here, because i can't find your blog nor an email adress to which i can reply privately. thank you for your compliment. signing up for notifications is going to be difficult, i fear, because we count on the usuals finding the new theme; by checking out veronica's blog. there you can find the collection and also the new themes.
      kind regards, nadine♥

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I don't have a blog on Blogger, so that makes it difficult. I'll watch the page.

      Delete
  7. Hi Nadine, I am really sorry because i wanted to play this AC with all of you, even i had an idea...but suddenly, this week became a complicated week to me and I have not a minute to make my post on my blog. Sorry again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Returning to my mini ritual of reading your blog. Ritual once meant regularly and now it means something that makes you go ahhhhhhhh. Ritual is nice. I loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Generally I don't like routine. Never have. But havng said that, I need to admit that even I have routine in my life.

    ReplyDelete