drawing | rara avis

a rare bird, in flemish called rare vogel, truly is a common enough expression with us. i remember it best used when we were in our teens. about anything and anyone around us back then were rare vogels

funnily enough pinterest research on the subject {yes, i did need inspiration} comes up with iris apfel. having been born from a glass-mirror manufacturer dad & a fashion design business mum, miss iris became an uncommon style icon, founding a.o. old world weavers. i am getting side-tracked, however. {lady in image, deffo not miss iris, but she might've liked her.}

now. anything uncommon makes my day. {little did i know when i was a child}. thxs to cerulean's exciting theme this weekend though, i now found myself a few more inspiring pinterest pages. so, thank you, eric. 





·
i started out this morning, sketching my jacket, making it longer. 
·
tonight i cut, clipped and glued magazine words to a dreamy winter's coat. 
·
the tiny snippets collaging woke me up again, on this slow, late evening. 
·
i'd LIVE in this coat. i would. 
·
even if it is a rara avis. ...
·
anyway.
· 
back in the shower tomorrow, for what looks like the finishing top row. ... 
·
enjoy the weekend. 
·

13 comments :

  1. fun to see your photos
    and to consider the rarity of them
    your jacket is looking wonderful, loving the wee animal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I've found Iris Apfel too. She's an icon indeed. Great photo of the lake or river. Love your jacket. A kind of eh...pop-art, rara avis... or so. Thanks for joining. - eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your rare photos, and the jacket is charming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Tollembeek photo, WOW! So other worldly and amazing. That is a real somewhere in this world? Love it. Made me escape awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well my rare bird (take that as a compliment dear Nadine) your dreamy winter coat is extraordinary! As is your first photo.
    Sunny here today so no need for any coat today. How about you? xo Carole

    ReplyDelete
  6. This coat made me smile, wearing this here in my suroundig I would be a rare rare bird. Thank you and all the best for the shower project...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first photo I like most! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ach Nadine.....
    i love all of this post
    that you see you the rara avis while waiting for a train
    the beauty and rareness in your surroundings and world
    (that lady! oh my ;^))))
    i just love your rara-avis-mind

    that lake is a magical one and i am sure
    you will look nice in that coat!!

    xx
    Patrice A.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know come to think of it- an eccentric old lady is commonly referred to as a rare bird- I hadn't
    thought of that angle- but I love it!
    and your post is a gem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally want to like like Iris Apfel when I grow up! :D Love her to pieces and completely agree she's the rarest bird of all.
    Lovely coat of words Nadine. Maybe one day you'll sew it just like that. Wouldn't that be fun?
    Hooray for the last row of tiles in the shower. After all this I think you deserve a champagne and strawberries shower! Won't it be wonderful to have that chore done and over with?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Esp. love the water pic and your jacket. I don't know what the words say, but I'm sure they're cool! :>) The reflection in the water is awesome! Is that yours or from Pinterest?

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderfull pictures, prachtige foto's, ze dienen verzilverd te worden

    ReplyDelete